Make the most of those May days - seven reasons why West Yorkshire is the place to be this May
As the Tour de Yorkshire races through West Yorkshire this bank holiday weekend, here’s seven reasons why it’s the place to be in May.
1. Halifax’s newly-restored Piece Hall will be the starting spot for the fourth and final stage of the 2018 Tour de Yorkshire cycle race. As well as seeing some of the world’s best men’s cyclists set off visitors can see the UK’s answer to St Mark’s Square.
2. The moving new ‘War Horse’ memorial at Mill Pod Meadow. This 20ft, four tonne piece of artwork was recently unveiled to honour the 353 men from the town who lost their lives during the First World War.
3. The striking Black and Blue installation at Yorkshire Sculpture Park which is due to depart in June. Comprising 80 sculptures by British-Trinidadian artist Zak Ové, the installation is part of the Park’s 40th anniversary celebrations.
4. The Hepworth, which was named the 2017 Art Fund Museum of the Year. Visit this award-winning location and see the UK premieres of three ‘solid light’ installations acclaimed by Anthony McCall.
5. A story of sacrifice, glory and the agonising pursuit of a legacy, As Good As It Gets is a documentary about Leeds Rhinos. Having premiered recently at Leeds International Festival there are three special screenings taking place in the city before it launches to the world on Amazon Prime later this month.
6. Travel back in time to 1839 and the UK’s first ever photographic exhibition. Don a VR headset at the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford and let Mat Collishaw’s immersive artwork take you back to the dawn of photography.
7. The beautiful and dramatic landscapes, get outside and experience some of West Yorkshire’s natural beauty whether on two wheels (like the Tour), on foot or by finger tip, there are activities for everyone from walking, cycling and even climbing.
Obviously doing all of the above will mean you work up an appetite and a thirst so an honorary mention must go to the amazing culinary delights of West Yorkshire. From the annual food festivals to the plethora of craft breweries (West Yorkshire has some of the best), there is something for everyone.